Many candles are made with petroleum-based paraffin wax, a by-product of crude oil. Crude oil is considered highly unsustainable due to it being a non-renewable resource. Paraffin wax is commonly used because it is cheaper and easier to work with.
When we started Botanical Forrest, one of the biggest considerations we came across was what wax to use to make the best scented and sustainable candle. I discovered the black soot I found on my windows from the candles I had bought in the past were down to the type of wax the candle was made from. For this reason and the .non-renewable nature of paraffin wax we experimented with plant-based waxes and decided to use soy wax. These are some of our top reasons for choosing to use 100% soy wax for Botanical Forrest candles and wax melts:
- Sustainable and biodegradable. Soy wax is a vegetable wax derived from the oil of soybeans. Our soy wax is sustainably sourced from USA grown soybeans and is a renewable source. It is also biodegradable and vegan friendly.
- It’s Carbon Neutral Soy wax is a carbon neutral product, which means it doesn’t produce any toxins or pollutants which harm the environment.
- A cleaner burn. A candle made from soy wax burns cleaner with little soot released as the candle burns.
- A longer-lasting candle. A soy wax candle burns around 40-50% slower than paraffin wax, meaning your soy wax candle could last twice as long! This means you get more for your money and reduces waste as you will not have to purchase a new candle as often.
- Repurpose your vessel. Soy washes away with warm soapy water. Ounce your have enjoyed your candle, the glass or metal jar can be washed to remove any residual wax, and re-used for storing all manner of items or recycled.